Sunday, September 13, 2015

Day 21- I'm only human

First home football game Friday night so it was a looong day.  I am writing my Friday reflections in bed on Sunday morning, with my cat draped across my arms making it a little hard to use the keyboard.
Government all day on Fridays and the students were grappling with Supreme Court cases and trying to predict the ruling and figuring out which part of the Constitution would be used as evidence to back up their predictions.  Wrapping up our unit on knowing how the Constitution works and how it is used today.  Each table was interpreting the Constitution a little differently for their cases and finding different things unconstitutional.  This was EXACTLY what I had hoped for!!!! I think they are understanding that there is no right or wrong answer here; its about how well you can defend constitutionality of the case and/or their answer to the question of the case.  It is not about right or wrong, but rather who has the most compelling argument. These kind of questions take a lot of listening skills- so we are working on them.  There are so many examples of people in government these days not listening to each other, that I hope in our class students can learn how to listen to and learn from each other.  Coming to consensus and allowing for ones mind to be changed and/or see more points of view is imperative for the future these kids are entering.

A-HA:
Just because I know something is the right thing to do doesn't mean I always do it. I can make excuses to myself why I can do it later.  MUST make a home visit this week and call some parents about "F"s.

reminder:  I'm only human.

2 comments:

  1. "There are so many examples of people in government these days not listening to each other, that I hope in our class students can learn how to listen to and learn from each other. "
    SO true, especially where they should be debating issues, but instead refuse to listen openly, or worse simply adhere to their party leadership's instruction.
    It's great to hear that the students are approaching these assignments with a seemingly open mind.
    This sounds like awesome coverage of the flexibility and rigidity of our Constitution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling from ear to ear right now.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and advice welcomed!!!