Monday, February 15, 2016

Day 109: pleasantly surprised, again

How is it that I still get surprised by my students?  I am not complaining, I just can't imagine people are as pleasantly surprised in other jobs.  For example today, students were doing their CAP (Community Action Project)  elevator pitches and one student quickly explained how he is going to use microprocessors to design a way to bring the Internet to third world countries and anywhere Internet access is not available.  He seemed very sure of himself and I ma excited to see the next step.
Second half of class, I was doing an activity going into investing, 401k's and IRA's but I opened with a question on google classroom( then we can all see the answers), "What would you do with a million dollars?"  I wanted then to go there and then be able to show them the possibility of creating a million dollars with investing and saving.   Reading their responses I was all teary eyed.  In all of my classes, about 90% of the students wrote about buying a house for their family and paying their parents bills. The few that didn't mention parents did mention investing or starting a business.  I was expecting, buy a Ferrari,etc.  Not these kids.  Screenshots of their responses will be in my next back to school night slide show!

A-ha: The more empowered my students are, the better off the world will be.

Reminder:  They are important, make sure they know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback and advice welcomed!!!