Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day 141- I am not the savior

Having students work on a project in class can be a mixed bag. They are building a cold war website in US History and first they are in expert groups, then go back to their website group to teach and build each individual page.  Most students working, researching, sharing info-- and a few slacking off and not worried "cuz its due Wednesday".   I like this set up, because I can visit each group and give a mini lecture on the event that each expert group is working on. Eight mini lectures instead of one long one.

Teachers are starting to get into their "what is wrong with the Seniors?" mode. This is only my 5th year  teaching but I am having deja vu because this happens exactly the same at the same time of the year, every year.  I will not let myself get sucked into this!!!! I will stay available for my students and allow the same make up assignments but I will be reminding myself on a daily basis that this senioritis has nothing to do with me and me losing sleep and showing all my stress to the kids, does not make them do work.  They will do it when they do it- if they do it.  When they are ready, I will be there- they hope.  They have to figure it out on their own- they will.  And yes- a few may not figure it out until its too late....Thats what summer school is for.  Hey- I was a summer grad....

A-ha:  I need to be ultra conscious of how I internalize students(esp. Seniors) not doing work during the last quarter of school.

Reminder:  Stay in my intent-- I am not the savior, I am the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback and advice welcomed!!!