Sunday, May 8, 2016

Day 162 - Camping

Friday morning was pack up and go time.  It took a few hours but myself, another teacher and some students were able to load up 3 vans full of camping gear and food for our overnight Senior camping trip.  Our academy is pretty male heavy, but I still didn't expect the female students to back out at the last minute.  Too bad, they were feeling out-numbered, way outnumbered.  2 to 17.  SO it ended up being me and 19 dudes- 17 teenage boys and two male colleagues.  I will take it as a compliment that the dudes didn't really notice there was a female on the trip.
I love this trip!!! Its only the third annual, but every time I get to hear these kids laugh hysterically, watch them run wild, joke with each other and take care of each other.  There is no cell phone or wifi access at the spot I take them to and we get a group site away from everyone, so there is no one for them to bother.  They get to be free and it is joyous for me to witness, knowing we have provided this safe opportunity for them to relax, share and have fun.  Even though its the end of the year, a lot of new bonds are made on this trip.  I think its the 7 mile hike that starts the bonding journey....
By Saturday morning they were pretty wiped out and ready to not be camping in the rain anymore. Me too.

A-ha: I totally think it is hilarious and kind of cute when teenage boys play cards against humanity, but anyone else and I cringe in discomfort.

Reminder:  Rainy camping isn't all that bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback and advice welcomed!!!