Thursday, May 12, 2016

Day 166 - Simba

Today I invited a community member named Simba Kenyatta to speak to my US History class.  He is an ex- member of the Black Panthers, an ex president of the Santa Cruz NAACP and an overall  revolutionary activist.  Wrapping up the Civil Rights unit with looking at different forms of protest and really hoping the students get the reason for the fight and the importance of the fight for Civil rights, I realized this white lady was not leaving a big enough impression.  So I invited Simba.  The kids were excited to hear from him and were perfectly thoughtful and respectful.  He had a great day.

A-ha: It really does only take a phone call sometimes.

Reminder: Always get members of the community in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback and advice welcomed!!!